The Horizons experience prepares students for what’s next.
Students’ reading and math skills improve significantly, and they return to school in the fall excited to learn. They graduate from high school and go on to college or other post-secondary training. Horizons students develop life skills like commitment, persistence, and the desire to contribute to their community. With the tools to navigate their world, Horizons students embrace a more expansive view of what’s possible, and find a path of success.
Across the Horizons Network:
- Students achieve an average 6-12 week improvement in reading and math over each six-week summer session
- 97% of Horizons high school students graduate from high school
- 100% of Horizons students learn to swim
- Our deep commitment to improving the life of all Horizons students helps them engage with their schools, teachers, and classmates throughout the regular school year
- Horizons programs become anchors in the community
Students, parents and the Kirkwood School District gave the program high marks in 2021. One student shared, “I love Horizons because I made new friends, and I can almost do anything with math.”
In a survey of Horizons St. Louis in Kirkwood families, 89% of parents reported their children were happy with the program. One parent especially praised our program’s affiliation with the Kirkwood Public Library for providing books with characters and role models similar to our students:
“This made a huge impact on my daughter. She can see someone who looks like her as a doctor, teacher, nurse or ballerina.”
One of the summer program’s aims was to give students a jumpstart on the 2021-2022 school year. And, reports from the Kirkwood School District indicated that Horizons’ participants returned to school this fall as stronger, more confident students.